The naming of the elements is a fascinating history. Interested readers are advised to consult PT Atkins's delightful book, The Periodic Kingdom, for more info. Also, GPeriodic is one hell of a useful little tool -- props!
- Hydrogen - Greek hydro + genus, "water-giving"
- Produced/described by Von Hohenheim (Paracelsus), discretized by Cavendish (1766)
- Named by Lavoisier (1793) upon producting water via combusting H2 + O2
- Helium - Greek helios for the sun, where it was first found (Janssen, 1868)
- Lithium - Greek lithos, "stone" (Arfvedson, 1817)
- Beryllium - Greek beryllos named its ore, "beryl" (Vauquelin, 1798)