I am in desperate need of bookshelves (update: not anymore!). Desirable traits include:
- Ash/matted black wood (but not steel, at least not any steel cases I've seen)!
- 72 inches high or more. 76- and 80-inch shelves aren't rare by any means but do narrow things down quite a bit
- Either no doors, or the ability to easily remove them without disfiguring or damaging the case
- As rectilinear a form as possible, and little wasting of space by moulding, thick sides, etc
- Solid top
Some nice ones:
- Hayden Tall 30": http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1090&f=27098 $600
- Tuscan Center (85 3/4"H x 46 1/2"W x 18 3/4"D) http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Furniture/Bookcases/Tuscan-Center-Bookcase/p/2243 $799
- Riverside Summit 84 (30W x 11.5D x 84H) http://www.bookcasesgalore.com/bookcases/standard/riversidesummit84inchbookcase.cfm $429
Too many books, too few bookshelves
I've finally constructed suitable shelving here at Viewpoint!
- Biographies ought not be separated out into their own section, but rather included among the appropriate subjects.
- Fiction is separated into collections, poetics, dialogues, and long prose
- Collections are extracted largely due to shelving concerns