The Finest Machine
The Finest Machine: The Science and the Joy of Computing.
- Computing from the ground up, beginning with formal systems and moving up through information theory, VLSI, microprocessors and programming languages.
- Kickstarter project
- Table of Contents
- Fill in computer science eponym list, market as a phatty Dictionary of Ideas or Binet's Reader's Encyclopedia-like deal
- (major and semi-esoteric) Trees. A chapter on each, kinda like The Periodic Kingdom
- A guide to low-latency, high-throughput I/O on UNIX and Windows, with an emphasis on API's
- Computer Science GRE exam prep
- Definitive biography of von Neumann (as of 2009, the three major ones are all garbage)
- possible title: Fekete Pestis (sets up unfortunate puns on my last name, though)
- The Well-Tempered Computer (working title): an in-depth guide to modern computer hardware with an emphasis on standards
- Everything from the input power to the output LEDs
- Creative Commons license
- Maximum Scrunch, a novel
- the title comes from Hans Bethe's Road from Los Alamos, referring to the conditions at which implosion turns to explosion in a supernova's core collapse